We’ve all been there. Out of no where, you realize your breath is a little less than fresh. Many people would just pop in a piece of gum, but what do you do to get rid of bad breath quickly when you have braces? Luckily, there are other options.
1. Reach for you toothbrush. This should always be your first course of action when possible. It is always a great idea to try to keep a travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste on hand, though, so you’ll be prepared to keep your teeth sparkling clean.
2. Drink a glass of water. When you can’t rush out and brush up, reach for a glass of water. When it’s been a while since you’ve had a drink, the bacteria in your mouth releases an unpleasant-smelling gas. You’re much less likely to have bad breath when you don’t allow your mouth to dry out.
3. Eat an apple. We’ve mentioned before that apples are natures toothbrushes because of their ability to clean your teeth, but they also do a great job freshening your breath. They contain oxidized polyphenols, which help to neutralize the odor produced by bacteria in your mouth. It’s a win, win.
4. Sip some hot tea. Tea definitely helps keep your mouth from drying out, but black and green tea also contain polyphenols that can prevent the growth of the bacteria that causes bad breath. Brew for your breath!
5. Nibble on parsley. One of the worst culprits when it comes to bad breath is garlic. The next time you chow down on a meal filled with it, check and see if the dish was garnished with parsley. If so, munch on some after dinner to fight the garlicky smell.